38 Wentworth Road
London. NW11 0RL
Tel + 44 (0) 7957 270 899
'FROM THE SOURCE' – Kaivalyadhama Yoga Retreat
Yoga Pranayama Asana and Meditation
December 31 2018 – January 13 2019
Led by Sri Yoga Master Sri O.P Tiwari & supported by Maxine Levy
Kaivalyadhama Institute, Lonavla, India
This will be a very special experience to go deeper into your practice with a great guide. We are hugely lucky that our visit will be lead by Sri O.P Tiwari who is head of the Kaivalyadhama Institute (and supported by me). It will be a wonderful immersion into the practice of yoga pranayama and meditation in this very special location and in a unique environment.
Sri O. P Tiwari is a great yoga and pranayama master and my teacher of 18 years with a very special gift for communicating the true essence of yoga. He comes from a long line of yogis. He is one of the few remaining masters of pranayama in the world today.
Tiwari’s teaching and manner is very special. He is a great communicator and talks with a refreshing accessibility and insight that is rare.
Sri O.P Tiwari (Tiwariji) is of the same generation and was a respected friend to the late TKB Deshikachar and BKS Iyengar. His yoga master Swami Kuvalyananda was also teacher to Mahatma Gandhi and advisor to Krishnamacharya, one of the most influential yoga teachers of the 20th century.
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT ON THE COURSE
This is a unique opportunity to practice and study with a great master and an authentic voice in the world of modern yoga . You have the chance to dedicate time and space to yourself by going deep/er into your practice.
You will leave with a real understanding of traditional yoga as it is practiced in India and of how to use it effectively as a tool for enhancing your spiritual mental and physical well being.
This residential workshop will provide valuable knowledge and insight to both new and continuing students. See it as an opportunity to develop your ’self mastery’ – and via self study (‘svadyaya’) through refining your practice, to support our personal growth.
AREAS THAT WILL BE COVERED:
– the fundamentals of pranayama asana and meditation practice
– their physiological and psychological health benefits from an ayurvedic (mind-body) and health perspective
– preparatory techniques for pranayama and guided practice of selected pranayamic techniques alongside explanation of their therapeutic benefits.
– yoga philosophy and ancient texts and their relevance and value to our daily lives.
– developing your personal practice
– Q&A to cover other relevant topics that arise.
FOR FIRST-TIME PRACTITIONERS:
– a comprehensive introduction to the theory and practice of yoga and how to practice in a systematic way.
FOR EXISTING PRACTITIONERS:
– a refresher to provide continuing support and go deeper into your practice. A chance to have your current pranayama practice assessed and your pulse checked.
EXPECT A RELAXING AND REJUVENATING 12 DAYS OF PRACTICE:
– with lots of time for rest in between.
– the opportunity to make use of the on-site naturopathy centre and auyurvedic hospital, to try some health cures
– we will share delicious freshly prepared vegetarian food, which is ayurvedically balanced.
The Institute is on the outskirts of Lonavla, located 3 hours from Mumbai, 2 hours from Pune. It is s a 7 minute rickshaw journey into town from the ashram.
You can expect more details from me once you have booked.
I have arranged a programme of meditation, pranayama and asana alongside daily talks given by Tiwari and other members of the teaching and research faculties of the ashram (aka Institute) who have been hand picked to talk on topics related to health, well being and philosophy that directly touch on our lives and can help us to understand ourselves in a practical and informative way. Expect teaching of the highest quality all round. We may chose to take a day trip break mid way through our stay. Popular options include a little country trek to explore some local historic caves, or a trip to visit Pune.
6:00 – 6:30 Kriyas (cleansing practices)
7.:00 – 8:30 Pranayama and Abhyasa (meditation practices) with Tiwariji
8:30 – 9:30 Breakfast
10:00 – 11:00 Lecture from a member of the Kaivalyadhama faculty
11.00 – 12.00 Free time/ Health Treatments
12:00 – 13:00 Lunch
13:00 – 15:45 Free time/ Health Treatments
15:45 – 17:00 Asana
17:15 – 18:30 Evening pranayama/ Lecture/ Q&A with Tiwariji
18.30 – 19.00 Tratak (candle meditation)
19:30 – 20.30 Supper
20.15 – 21:15 Free time / Kaivalyadhama Institute open talks
21.15 – Goodnight
Be 'warned'! This is India. Hence there may be changes to the schedule :)
The accommodation is all on the campus. It’s very basic but clean.
Rooms are shared occupancy (with just a few singles).
We have been allocated a specific quota of room types (as there are other activities taking place at any one time on-site). Hence accommodation is booked through me and not through the Kaivalayadham website.
I will match participants and in the spirit of yoga we will all make new friends. It always works very well. However, If you require a single for medical reasons, or as a personal preference, let me know and I will be sure to transfer you to one should one become available.
Except for the single standard room, all rooms are shared occupancy:
Standard rooms with bathroom – Main Building
Single standard room with bathroom – Vedanta Kutir
Executive room with bathroom en suite – Soham Kutir
Deluxe room with bathroom en suite – Soham Kutir
To see costs/ pictures go to the Kaivalyadham (www.kdham.com) website
Tarrifs :. https://kdham.com/tariff/
You will see prices are calculated on 7 day period.
We are paying for two week period, hence just multiply the 7 day rate by 2.
Booking your Accommodation:
NB book your choice of room through Maxine and NOT online.
You pay for accommodation on arrival and registration at Kaivalyadhama on 31 December. (With rupees cash or credit card. Easy).
I recommend 'Callum' at DialAFlight (Callum.Patel@dialaflight.co.uk / tel. 0207 204 1499/ 0207 459 3935). He is here to help and will also coordinate your travel with other members of the group. Either way we recommend you book early to guarantee the best rates, as December/ January is a busy time.
PAYMENT / COSTS
1. Non refundable deposit: £280 immediately paid to Maxine Levy to secure your place
2. Non refundable tuition: 75,000 rupees (approx £835). Paid immediately direct to Kaivalyadhama.
3. Accommodation & Food. All food is included. Rates vary according to room preference & availability. See weekly room Tarrifs. on their website and multilpy by 2 for your 13 night stay Paid in rupees to Kaivalyadhama on arrival Dec 31 2018.
4. Participants please note your bank may charge you for transfer fees and exchange rate costs.
1. Students arrange their own flights to Pune or Mumbai.
2. Kaivalyadhama taxi from Mumbai. 2.5 hrs. Or from Pune to Lonavla 1.5 hrs. The most this will cost is 2500 - 2800 rupees (approx. £30 if you are travelling alone. The cost lowers if shared in a group. This is paid to the driver in rupees. I will be helping to coordinate the sharing of taxis to and from Kaivalayadhama from Pune and Mumbai for travel on the 31st December, and for the return on Jan 13th when I have your arrival times.
3.Optional Ayurvedic and Naturopathic treatments – ‘a la carte’ prices:
Payable to Kaivalyadhama during your stay.
4.Optional local day trip travel/expenses. Likely to involve the cost of sharing a taxi.
5. Holiday travel and Health Insurance. Essential.
Kaivalyadhama or MaxineYoga are not liable in the event of any cancellation for any reason.
6. Food, trips and expenses outside the Ashram
7. Bank transfer and exchange rate fees charges are the responsibility of the participant
If you wish to enjoy a few days in Mumbai before or after the retreat but don't fancy going it alone, why not hook up with with like minded fellow participants. I can put you in touch. At present some have booked in at the lovely 'Abode' Hotel the nights of 29 & 30 December, and others the nights of 13 and 14 January. Booking is direct with the hotel. http://abodeboutiquehotels.com or for ease and no extra cost I recommend booking it through i- escape: https://www.i-escape.com
Please contact Maxine if you would like to come.
Non refundable deposit of £280 alongside completion of a registration form is required once a place has been offered to you.
Payment due :
1. £280 by Bank Transfer to Maxine Levy :
BANK TRANSFER (BACS):
Account name: Ms Maxine Levy
Account number: 90936588
Sort Code: 20-29-41
IBAN: GB50 BARC 2029 4190 9365 88
1 Churchill Place
London E4 5HP
2. 75.000 rupees to Kaivalyadhama Institute :
Account Name : Kaivalyadhama
Bank Name : Axis Bank
Branch : Lonavla
Account No. 916010076876944
IFSC Code : UTIB0002773
Please use : your surname/ Maxine UK
As a reference for Kaivalyadhama to track your payment.
We recommend you take out personal insurance cover in the unlikely event of cancellation. The deposit is non refundable. Payment to Kaivalyadhama for tuition may be refundable only in the event that your place is filled and we are able to transfer your tuition and accommodation choice over to another participant. (Kaivalyadhama are subject to their own Indian stringent rules and regulations).
Founded in 1924 by Swami Kuvulyananda, the Kaivalyadhama Institute was the first centre in the world to conduct scientific research into the benefits of yoga.
It continues its research to this day. A look at the Kaivalyadhama Insitute website will show you the layout of the ashram including the different academic, research departments, the yoga collegel, library, naturopathic centre and ayurvedic hospital. See www.kdham.com
Kaivalyadhama also publishes a world-renowned review on yoga called ‘Yoga Mimamsa’ (the ‘New Scientist’ of Yoga journals) in which authenticated research is published on a wide range of yoga subjects, from philosophical texts and historical documents to medical research.
In 1966 Swami Kuvalyananda was succeeded by his disciple Swami de Gambarji, an accomplished yoga and ayurvedic expert. In the same year Sri O.P Tiwari, the last disciple of Swami Kuvalyananda, was appointed as overall person in charge of the Institute. We are hugely lucky that our visit will be lead by Sri O.P Tiwari. It will be a wonderful immersion into the practice of yoga, linked to this very long tradition.
ABOUT THIS TRIP
This is also a great way to visit India, especially if it is your first time to this area. Expect also to meet a lovely group of people. We will also be gathering in London before the trip. Most participants are travelling on their own. Some are choosing to visit Mumbai, before or after and would like to do this with other members of the group. I will be happy to coordinate by sharing flight times plus hotels that other participants have booked.
I'm honoured to be taking this group to India. I have trained at the Kaivalyadham Institute under the personal guidance of my teacher yoga master Sri O.P. Tiwari for the last 18 years. Sri O.P Tiwari is head of this prestigious centre.
BOOKING, PAYMENT & REGISTRATION